Saturday, February 27, 2016

The Pot Roast has Gone Crazy!



A photo posted by Alyssa (@apjord01) on








Slow cooker. Crock pot. Who cares what you call it. These bad boys are the alchemists of awesome.

Last night I saw a beautiful piece of rump roast on sale for $3.99/lb. So, yeah I saw that and immediately started googling "rump roast slow cooker" to see what I could come up with.

I decided to go with a classic American rump roast crock pot dish. Meat! Coca-Cola (or any dark soda) with onions, beef stock, potatoes, carrots, garlic and salt and pepper.

The recipe(s) I looked at said, "HAYYY!!!! GURRRLLL!!!! HAYYYY! Just cut this up and pour a soda on it and you are done!"

So, I did.

A photo posted by Alyssa (@apjord01) on



Holy Moly! It only took five minutes to chop this up and put it in the crock pot!!!

I started with

2.5 lbs rump roast
3 cloves of garlic (minced)
1 bag of baby carrots
6 red russet potatoes (washed with skin on)
1 white onion halved
1 bottle Mexican Coke (I used this because Mexican cola uses real sugar)
2 cups beef stock
chili powder
salt
pepper



A photo posted by Alyssa (@apjord01) on



I put this delicious piece of meat on high for 8 hours expected to come back to...

HA! This is when the truth comes out.

This is pretty. It looks gooooooooooood.
It wasn't.

It was, meh.


A photo posted by Alyssa (@apjord01) on





Pretty...but lacking in flavor.
No, I mean...It didn't taste like ANYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
OK!

The meat, carrots, onions, and potatoes were cooked. Cooked well. They just... didn't taste like anything.

So, I circled back, added some stuff and came up with this.

A photo posted by Alyssa (@apjord01) on







So....I added
3 tablespoons brown sugar
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 large white onion
2 chopped red apples
salt
pepper



I added more beef stock and some water, but this is definitely up to the individual cooker. I wanted to have some juice for dipping bread in. (I would suggest egg noodles with this too).

I put it on for a few more hours.

Holy moly. Good things come to those who wait.



In a situation like this where it seems like you've done everything right down to the last single ingredient...


Go Rogue!

I like spicy, garlicy, salty flavors. I just added more of what I liked and diplomatically tried to add some other elements that I thought others would like if they got to taste the roast (if I didn't eat it all). That was why I added brown sugar. If I had oregano or parsley I would have added it, for sure.

Sriracha is probably the best condiment ever invented. It is sweet and hot and tangy and tangy and spicy and did I mention, HOT. I think this is why it has become such a staple at so many restaurants and home tables. Adding Sriracha as an option as a condiment is a great option for your dining partners if you don't particularly care for it.



I grabbed a loaf of French bread for my roast turned beef stew and it was................


DELICIOUS!



A photo posted by Alyssa (@apjord01) on

No comments:

Post a Comment